Tuesday, 10 September 2013

Saint Gilbert?


Hearing the news that G. K. Chesterton may be on his way to sainthood reminded me of my primary interest in him as a pioneer of distributism. It was this little economic theory that helped ween me off anarcho-communism, and helped kick start my real belief (as opposed to a pose!) that everyone has a right to property if they earn it. It was a welcome school of thought that provided a material basis for my latent patriotism to my locality and the land on which it rested. I got the spiritual aspect of nationalism (in fact, in many ways I always had) and with distributism I had a material basis for it. Distributist economics make for cohesive localities and tribes through self-reliance and self-sufficiency. Discovering National Anarchism provided the political aspect - and now my life's complete!  Of course the beauty of National Anarchism is that it allows for all trains of thought and political belief to co-exist on a tribal, autonomous basis - free communities practising life as they wish without getting in the way of others. For me the small businesses, family concerns and farms, along with co-ops envisaged by distributism are the economic ideal I'd prefer.

The distributism of Gilbert Keith and others provide a strong practical example for radical nationalists in tackling the awkward question of how to put food on the table without conflicting with our tribalist worldview. Other distributist thinkers like Dorothy Day and the Catholic Worker Movement can also teach radical nationalists and other anti-globalists important lessons in building our respective, preferred little new worlds free from globalist hegemony.