Sunday, 29 May 2011

If odd is bad...

Your Editor is not a huge fan of the UK Independence Party for a number of reasons (rejecting Parliamentary Democracy) being one. Then again I have voted UKIP on a number of occasions when I've had to, and I note their vote as a barometer of the national mood. I jettisoned dogmatism a fair few years back now and vote whenever the establishment grant me that right, usually for anti-establishment parties - and for the most part, UKIP fall into that camp. Okay, their 'civic' nationalism is a standing joke, but I believe they are rebellious enough to warrant my vote as a kick in the balls to the global/cosmo/liberal elite...

Besides, I also find UKIP leader Nigel Farage entertaining so always tune into the Idiot Box when I know he's been granted a shout. Take a look, however, at this clip from a recent edition of the BBC's Politics Show: About 4 mins and 10 seconds in Suzanne Moore remarked, when referring to the English Fens that it (or places like it) were 'a very odd place'...Okay, well what strikes one as 'odd' is up to the individual and oddity is in the eye of the beholder. But the cynic in me says that Suzanne (yes, I could be barking up the wrong tree) is referring to areas of England that are 'hidiously white' -  as Greg Dyke once said - mono-cultural, Tribal, English. Would she consider Southall, Brixton, Brighton, Leicecster or Mannigham 'odd'. I'd wager no - descriptions like 'diverse' and 'vibrant' spring to mind. Would she refer to Lahore and Dhaka as 'odd'?


Let's go a scrumpin'!
Especially for this blog's loyal Monachist readers today is Oak Apple Day - another welcome addition to tribal English identity and playing it's part in giving a nation a sense of itself. Of course, many a pub owes its name to the story. I happened to use up a few idle minutes in the Royal Oak at Lechlade, Gloucestershire, one day this week, pausing briefly before I crossed the threshold, to look up at the sign. There was Charlie grinning down at the hapless Cromwellian rascals beneath...