Friday, 7 January 2011

Down with this sort of thing

 
News just in that on the 26th March the Trades Union Congress and their Left hangers on are going to do what they do best - mobilise a big demo in London with all the usual suspects and march round and round...no doubt this will involve a few old mates slinking off to the pub and possibly a few masked kids running amok...All against the spending cuts.

Not very imaginative. The do itself will have a name: March for the Alternative: Jobs, Growth, Justice. Okay, 'Justice' - well a bit vague,  no one's against 'justice' are they? 'Growth'? Well, where has this got us? Sure it's made a lot of us comfortably numb, but growth leads us to the consumerist zeitgeist, and it has ripped us asunder from our tribal roots. No, I'm not marching for growth. 'Jobs'? Right, well I'm a 9 to 5 sort, I admit it. I 've never been able to kick the habit, I do a lot of unpaid overtime too... But to be honest, I always preferred the old Green Anarchist slogan from the 90s: Stuff Your Jobs - We Want Land. Much better than the Right to Work mantra of the Left -that's just like asking for more and more capitalism. I know people have got to feed their families, but I always thought Green Anarchist had the better vision. No, I think I'll give this one a miss.