Friday, 26 October 2007

'Nuff Respect?

My interest in the left is, thankfully, not what it was. In recent years I've concluded that it is pointless making an effort with something that's not a force for change. So I confess that my nosy nature has had me following the latest on the the Islamo-Trot RESPECT coalition. Now it should be noted that RESPECT is hardly of the 'old' left in any real sense - any one can call for trade union rights, the defence of the NHS and be anti-war without being a screaming red, but I
digress...

The SWP (effectively the driving force behind the grouping) has fell out with Galloway in recent weeks and now I learn that three loyal and long-standing SWP CCers have been expelled for siding with him. Could this spell the final death of the fighting vanguard? Let's hope so. It seems the grand coalition of the masses is dying on its feet. Never mind, eh.

FROM OUR FOREIGN DESK
The Swiss Peoples Party (those of naughty sheep poster fame) is once again the largest party in Cuckoo Clock Land. Also of note is the Swiss Greens getting 20 seats in the lower house and, curiously the newly formed Liberal Green Party of Switzerland picking up three. I'm speculating that this lot broke away due to being sick to the back teeth with Euro-Green liberal-leftism - I know how they feel, but we just can't keep stomping off just because we're not getting our own way. Frankly I'm actually quite amazed this kind of split hasn't happened with the Green Party of England and Wales (not that I wish for it) But I always think majorities should constantly have to deal with challenges from below. Green Nationalist! Get yer Green Nationalist!
The regionalist Ticino League also picked up a seat as did the far-left.

The Poles have also swung to the right. But as far as I know the Third Positionist National Rebirth of Poland (NOP) didn't stand. This is odd - they picked up 7,000 votes last time, admittedly not a lot, but something to build on as they say. Maybe they're turning their attention to street-level.

ON THIS DAY
Today is King Alfred's Day. He died on October 26th AD 899. An english hero, national icon. Raise a glass, eat a burnt cake.

THE WHEEL OF THE YEAR
Next wednesday is Hallowe'en, All Hallow's Eve, Samhain (Sow-en) It is a time to accept death in the lifecycle, to honour our ancestors and remember loved ones no longer with us. It is the time when the veil between our world and theirs is at its thinnest. It is also a time to eat, drink and be merry before the parky weather sets in.