Monday, 20 August 2007

Right...Outside!!!

Well! There's me thinking that last night's 'Westminster Hour' debate between the Green Party's Caroline Lucas and Derek Wall was going to be a relaxed affair full of mutual respect and the willingness to learn from each other, when in fact it turned out to be a right old spat.
The 'Shall We Have a Leader' debate is a long-standing, time consuming one for the Greens, so passion was bound to run high, but I was shocked at the real signs of contempt both were showing for the other's stance.
I do hope this doesn't lead to a split come October's all-member referendum, because despite all their misguided liberalism on social issues, I do cast my vote for them due to their decentralised economics and anti-globalism. In fact I'd like to see them getting broader in scope. The present leadership is effectively the Green Left faction, full of anti-capitalist zeal. But I'd personally like to see a strong rightist faction return (like with the old Ecology Party of old) espousing a bit of nationalism, distributionism and Social Credit theories. Unfortunately, this is about as likely as Nick Griffin converting to Islam.